DONT LEND YOUR STUFF !!!!

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:25
ThreadID: 62866 Views:4165 Replies:16 FollowUps:30
This Thread has been Archived
Well I have learnt never to lend my stuff out again, to either friends or family, in this case family (brother in law). He borrowed the fridge and tent and some camping gear. Well the fridge was returned stinking of fish or bait of some sort amd the reasonably new tent has a whole in it Grrrrrr Not h a p p y Jan. I didnt want to lend the fridge in the first place but thought dont be stingy it will be ok.. Should have stuck with my first thoughts. Not only that I now have a fridge that stinks and also that is faulty as it is dropping down to -20 but with a set point of +2 ??? so dropped off this morning to get fixed. I rang him last night to ask what the hell he had in it especially after I told him NO FISH OR BAIT IN FRIDGE and dont sit on it, its not a seat. Well he didnt answer so I sent him a nice tex message still no answer. Needless to say I will never be lending my stuff to anyone. Once lent out in earlier days a CB radio GME to a mate and got some piece of sh i t back should have learnt then I suppose. WHG..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Borgy.. (SA) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:44

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:44
G'day WHG

I understand where your coming from mate, have had the same happen to me with a family member, not a fridge but a tent....I have a rule when it comes to lending stuff now....i only lend to direct family, ie my sons , and when i do lend its always , if you stuff it you fix it or replace it...i wont accept something that is stuffed back until its fixed or replaced.....So hard when it comes to family though , because you dont want to upset anyone...

Do you think he is going to coff up for repairs??

Cheers......Borgy
AnswerID: 331771

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:00

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:00
Hiya Borgy, The fridge place just rang me back and looks like it will be repaired under warranty ??. He didnt think it would be this morning due to what he thinks was some form of power spike and cooked the thermister (spelling) and some other part. Fingers xxx it will be fixed under warranty. I have asked them also about the smell and he said its either fish or chicken but said chicken is more of a sour smell so is leading towards fish. He said they have some form of spray stuff that should get rid of most of the smell but no guarantee. What ever he had in it has got between the seams just up from bottom of fridge. Il tell you what Im still so p i s s e d off at the moment and he hasnt even got the balls to return my call or tex, cause he knows he going to get a mouth full, brother in law or not Ill be giving it to him and he knows it. We'll see as to wether I have to cough up any $$$ or not but he can be assured I will be knocking on his door handing him the bill if I do. Wife knows what Im like she has already rung her mum this morning telling her what he had done so she will be giving him a serve as well as they know how I look after my things. WHG
FollowupID: 599612

Follow Up By: Member - Madfisher - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:55

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:55
Like you whg I rarely borrow anythung, but treat it like gold if I have to, the only person I will now lend to is one brother aqnd one stepson, and one mate, the other one no way he cannot even look after his own gear. Wife wants to go salt water fishing but I am not putting an outboard worth thousands in the salt it would break my heart because I try and look after my stuff.
The reason these sort of people borrow things is they have stuffed their own gear usually.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 599628

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:25

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:25
Hi Pete, "The reason these sort of people borrow things is they have stuffed their own gear usually" very true words there Pete. I never ran the ski boat in salt water either. WHG
FollowupID: 599643

Follow Up By: Member - Madfisher - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:16

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:16
I am most likley not as fussey as you whg, but if I have to borrow something I treat it better then my own stuff. Mind you I just threw a tent out that was over 25 years old, just needed a new zip, but have that many for diff purposes it was getting ridiclous.Hope your brother inlaw doesnt read this forum as he may hit me up for a loan. LOL
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 599682

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:48

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:48
Touch wood, I've never had anything come in worse condition that I had lent it. But I've hear stories like this.
The bloke next door was telling the other day he had lent his 71/4 rip saw to his brother inlaw. two days later he turns up with it, and says that smoke is coming out of it. And when I gets it fixed to ring him because he hasn't finished using it yet.

Why can't people look after other peoples stuff when they borrow it?
If I have to borrow something, I always return it in better nik than when I borrowed it.

I'd hound him until he coughed up to have it fixed, at lest. The misses can't grill him over it?
You know what they say? You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relations.

I hope you get it sorted out, He should at lest buy you a couple of bottles of good Whiskey for loaning it to him in the first place.

AnswerID: 331772

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:10

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:10
Hi John, yeah the wife will grill him over it if he answers her call or mine. Wife rang her mother this morning and told her about the state of the fridge and told her he will never be borrowing another thing from us. Like your self if I borrow anything (very unusual) I return it the same or better. Even if what ever I borrowed was about to go bang anyway I would offer the cost to replace/fix it. He has no respect for other peoples property. My wife lent him some PS 1 games and some cd's never saw them again. Should have learnt but thought cant be stingy all the time so give them a go, wont be happening again I can tell you. At least cough up $$$ in petrol for the 80k round trip I had to do to take it to the repairers this morning. Trying to continue stripping bathroom so dont need the extra time wasted running around but wanted to get it repaired asap. Said I should have it back in the week. WHG
FollowupID: 599614

Reply By: Justin & Tracey (VIC) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:49

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:49
can understand were u guys are coming from have learnt the hard way too . don't loan anything now to anyone family or friends people don't respect other peoples stuff now! except father in-law he is old school and treats it as his own. loaned tent to sister in law and got it back wet and mouldy and just stuffed in bag. still trying to get jerry cans i loaned a mate. i just say no now and if they don't like it too bad they will get over it.
justin
AnswerID: 331785

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:53

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:53
Hi Justin, my answer from now on will be the same as yours "just say no now and if they don't like it too bad they will get over it" my thoughts exactly. He borrowed the same tent some time back and it come back rolled in a ball and the fly (spelling) just shoved in the bag on top. The poles wernt even put back in the bag. So I had to pull out air it out and repack it all properly back in the bag. Its not a real dear tent as its just one my wife and I use for one night stays here & there like when we did the High Country where we were at a different spot each night but its not the point is it. I should have learnt from the way that was returned but thought you only live once if you can help some one out by lending them some thing for 2 weeks big deal. Wont ever happen again I can tell you that. Bit like when we had the ski boat everyone wants a free ride/ski fun day out ask them for a few $$$ and you dont see them again so I soon learnt who the bludgers were. Best thing I ever asked for was fuel money dont see them now. WHG
FollowupID: 599627

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:01

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:01
Yeah, same problem years ago with a large tent and heap of camping gear to a brother-in-law. Never saw any of it again. Needless to say he has'nt been around when I'm home ever since.
AnswerID: 331787

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:49

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:49
If your fridge continues to smell when you get it back, put some bicard soda in a small open container and place it in your fridge, it should absorb some of the odour. You might have to leave it there for a while though.

Annette

FollowupID: 599626

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:07

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:07
Hi Gramps, at least I got the fridge back !!! LOL. We'll see how long it takes to get the tent/gas bottle etc back. He will probably bring the tent back when he thinks I have cooled down a bit and that will be his peace offering, a repaired tent. I cant really blame him for the tent issue as they had a major storm and one of the poles he had up holding an additional tarp in place let go and the pole pierced the tent. This he did tell me about So he has offered to fix the tent, so hopefully will be true to his word, we'll see. This could have happened to anyone. I think the issue with the electrical part of the fridge is due to the storm and possible spiking, which is what the fridge mechanic has also said. Its just the smell coming from it that is p i s s i n g me off especially after I asked him not to put fish or bait/ seafood in general into the fridge which he has obviously ignored and then might I add has scrubbed the inside of the fridge with I would say one of those green scouring pads you use in the kitchen to try and get rid of the smell and in the meantime has scratched the entire inside of the fridge. Like using steel wool on your 4b's paintwork. Only noticed that this morning. WHG

Thanks Annette, will keep your idea in mind if the smell is still there when I get it back. Thanks again WHG
FollowupID: 599636

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 16:30

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 16:30
Wherehegon,

Regarding the smell in the fridge, some people on here swear by a product called "Nil Odour". It's mentioned inthese posts

FollowupID: 599668

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:00

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:00
Thanks Gramps, will wait untill I get it back and see what its like, but will keep in mind Thankyou. WHG
FollowupID: 599679

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 00:41

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 00:41
Gramps - This reminds me of a saying:

"If you lend someone $20 and never see them again; then it was money well spent"

Cheers
Stephen.
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 599891

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 16:42

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 16:42
Stephen,

LOL that's a sensible way of looking at it :)))

FollowupID: 599998

Reply By: Grunter65 - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:54

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 13:54
Amazing isn't it, we go to work, earn the cash to equip ourselves with the gear we want, and others - friends or family - are simply not prepared to treat borrowed gear as their own. Wassup wit dat?! I won't lend any gear to anyone because it's always the same old story - "sorry mate, got p*ssed, fell on it" or whatever, my gear always comes back worse than when it left me....so no more! Go to the local camping shop and spend your own hard earned like I did!
AnswerID: 331789

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:13

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:13
Hi Grunter, totally agree with you. "Go to the local camping shop and spend your own hard earned like I did" This will also be added to the list of answers people will be getting from me now if they ask. My pop always says " two things I dont lend are my lawnmower and my wife, told him Ive just added everything I own to the list. He is old school as well. Thanks WHG
FollowupID: 599637

Reply By: al - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:16

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:16
hi there
on the other side i borrowed a clapped out petrol motor generator from a mate it ran for less than five minutes put conrod through side of motor all lubricants were checked before starting. it cost $400 for new motor . when i returned it he said should not have bothered but we have an arrangment if it works when you collect it it works when it comes back. several months later he borrowed my big air commpressor when he returned it, it was a brand new unit it had sh#t itself shortly after he started it. but under the rule of borrowing he replaced it.so i think if you pick the right people to lone to it can work but you have to set the rules.
just my two bobs worth
regards
al
AnswerID: 331792

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:31

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:31
Hi Al, Funny you say that Al, his saying was the iffy iffy rule. If you f#ck it you fix it. He might be going to fix the tent but bet he wont be offering to replace the inside casing of fridge when he's scratched the crapper out of it ????. Have learnt my lesson well and truly this time. Unfortunately there are people I know that would never treat it like he has but they will now never get to prove it as it either lives in the back of the 4b or running in the back room. Wont be sitting in the back of anyone elses unless Im going with them. Simple. Like they say, you get one person stuff it for the rest. WHG
FollowupID: 599646

Follow Up By: Grunter65 - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:44

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:44
Good call Al, sad when others drive you to the "no lend" rule through their own actions, but yes, there are always those that amaze you when they go above and beyond when s*it happens. I busted a mate's Waeco fridge lid on a recent trip, though I'd contend that it was Waeco's dodgy lid design and not my fault! In short, cost me $100 to replace the lid, which he was amazed I'd bothered to do. Why? Because he's lent stuff out to others before and it came back busted without so much as a sorry! Some of us give a damn about doing the right thing, but unfortunately many others are happy to give back broken gear and not care less. So, unfortunately, on the "majority wins" basis, nobody gets my gear!
FollowupID: 599650

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 15:23

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 15:23
Hi Grunter, bet it was the hinge part of it to ???

Good hinge

Stuffed Hinge

FollowupID: 599660

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:30

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:30
It shows there was some good reasoning behind the old adage ..... "neither a lender nor borrower be".
AnswerID: 331796

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:33

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 14:33
Very good words of wisdom there Shaker. Another one for my list !!! WHG
FollowupID: 599648

Reply By: ajd - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 15:45

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 15:45
After years of trying to do the right thing my motto is now:

'No good deed goes unpunished'

I know it's a bit cynical but years of lending stuff out and getting it back wrecked has taken it's toll!!
Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 331803

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:50

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:50
Dont blame you ajd, nothing worse. WHG
FollowupID: 599690

Reply By: stefan & 12 times Dakar winner - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 16:41

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 16:41
come out tomorrow!! you will feel better :):)
AnswerID: 331812

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 17:58

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 17:58
Hi Stefan, was working on that and was going to just meet you at Macca's without telling you but stripping this bathroom is bigger then I thought, plus also now he wants to do the roof as well. They were going to charge an extra $1000 to strip so we decided to do ourselves. Looks like Im definately out, spewing but wife will kill me if she has to use the outdoor camp shower for too much longer LOL She's not real impressed having to shower in the backyard. WHG
FollowupID: 599678

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 17:37

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 17:37
Hi WHG...been there, done that and yes...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Now when they ask....I chuck them a catalogue and explain the virtues of having their own stuff....refusing was hard at first but now it's easy....they know better than to ask...LOL
AnswerID: 331821

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:02

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:02
Hi Redbakk, I will have no issues saying no/never again. He still hasnt got back to me yet !!! I like the catalogue idea. Might post him a few I think. But I dont think I will have any issues with him asking again LOL. WHG
FollowupID: 599680

Reply By: Member - Madfisher - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:30

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:30
Whg Just asked the wife and she said vanilla essence will get rid of smells in fridges. Good luck, shame about tomorrow, was hoping to get a day off. Had one full day off in three weeks grrr.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 331829

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:49

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:49
Thanks Pete, will see how is goes when I get it back. WHG
FollowupID: 599687

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:42

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:42
Lending camping gear, tools etc is like lending the missus out

THEY BOTH COME BACK R@@TED
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 331833

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:48

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:48
LOL LOL LOL. WHG
FollowupID: 599686

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 19:09

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 19:09
Lance, Lance, Lance.......rotfl....so true

My biggest lesson was lending my first cement mixer...never saw it again or the money....bought another one...and it stays home

Lent a 9" makita circular saw...gone too....had to buy a new one.

Need I go on.....
FollowupID: 599693

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 21:53

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 21:53
I wish I could remember the saying that has lines like never lending, wife, mower, neighbour and the four letter f word.
AnswerID: 331881

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 22:00

Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 22:00
Not like Lance's reply just above ??? WHG
FollowupID: 599730

Follow Up By: Member - Bob V (QLD) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 09:58

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 09:58
The old saying is if you don't lend your mower or chainsaw or wife because they all come back stuffed.
FollowupID: 599916

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 00:01

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 00:01
Yep
AnswerID: 331896

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 06:27

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 06:27
A few months ago I loaned a $2500 metal detector to someone for the specific purpose of finding lost family jewelry.

I was not best pleased when the detector was returned and she told me "No good with the jewelry but the kids took it down to the local sandpit and had a great time"!

Fortunately the detector was unharmed but I'll think twice before I loan something again.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 331909

Follow Up By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 15:09

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 15:09
G'day Mike,

I wasn't going to ask but on second thoughts mate, can I borrow your metal detector?

I wouldn't mind going up into the golden triangle and trying my luck ;-)

Just kidding Mike.

I agree with everyone's comments though.

Never a lender or a borrower be !

Cheers.
FollowupID: 599822

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 15:24

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 15:24
No problem Paul... the $50 Dick Smith detector awaits you :)
FollowupID: 599824

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 17:03

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 17:03
I have borrowed and taken back lots and also loaned out my stuff, and nary had a problem
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 599833

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 17:14

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 17:14
_You_ may not have done but you should hear what the people you borrowed it from have to say about you :)
FollowupID: 599837

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 20:18

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 20:18
ahh I had not thought about that, I recall when I borrowed Mildred .........
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 599859

Reply By: Member - Matt & Julie (VIC) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 09:49

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 09:49
Hi
My old man told me when I was a kid don't lend your money ,car or woman well I apply it to everything these days, I work for it so can everyone else.
Cheers

Matt & Julie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 331940

Sponsored Links